Friday, October 04, 2013

First Quarter Reflection- Math

Statement: Mathematical thinking is not the same as doing math.

I agree because when you are thinking mathematically, you think of reasons why things could happen. When you are doing math your just doing the writing and not the thinking. Thinking mathematically, you think about WHY things happen the way they do. Mathematical thinking helps you understand things better. Thinking mathematically also helps you solve an answer to it's most accurate or the exact answer. Doing math is just plain writing and solving problems. Maybe a bit of critical thinking, to solve a problem logically, other than that though.... Nothing interesting. 


Characteristics of a good mathematician...


  • Thinking logically (Critical Thinking)
  • Estimating
  • Thinking of ways to make things easier, simpler
  • Writing neatly
  • Thinking why things happen
  • Checking over your answers
  • Trying your best
  • Trying to deepen your understanding of something if you don't understand it
I think one of my strengths and a mathematician is being a critical thinker. I that because I really try to deepen my understanding of why some mathematical reasons are the way they are. Thinking critically, also helps me solve a problem that I do not understand very well. It helps me realise some methods I could use to solve those types of problems. It helps make the problem easier. 

No comments:

Post a Comment