Saturday, March 22, 2014

Cells are Everything

This is a reflection of my cells experiment in Science:



Here are a variety of images that I took. You can see some of my pre-lab experiments, my drawings of the cells, and a picture of the microscope zooms and me.

I used to think that cells were just part of your body. I knew what blood cells were, but I never knew that plants had cells too, or foods. Now I know that everything is made up of cells. I know that cells are really small particles that move around. In an Elodea leaf, there are a couple cells in a "brick" form. The "walls" around the cells are called cell walls, then there is another layer called the the cell membrane. The chloroplast, is something in the cells. The cell movement, is called cytoplasmic streaming.

THE ELODEA LEAF EXPERIMENT

The Elodea leaf experiment was my first experiment with cells. It was amazing what I saw through the oculos. I think that I learned a lot from this experiment.When this experiment was over, I was pretty excited to start the next one! :)

THE EXPERIMENT:
First what we did is we got the slides ready. To do that, we got the small leaf, and put it in the centre of the longest slide, then added a drop of water to it. Then we put the smaller slide right on top of it. We then carefully put it on the stage of the microscope. We adjusted the stage, so that we had a clear view of the leaf, and used the different zooms and drew out what we saw. After everybody had drawn their findings, as a class we labeled everything. Then, we added a drop of iodine to the plant, and tried to find the nucleus under the microscope.

This experiment was fun because we got to look at something with a 100x view! Which is actually 1000x! It was amazing to see the cells and with the iodine the nucleus.
The frustrating part was when we had to draw what we saw, because you wanted to be as precise as possible and sometimes that was pretty hard. You had to look, then draw, look, then draw. Also, I'm not really the best drawer!

Overall, the Elodea leaf experiment was really fun!

THE ONION CELLS EXPERIMENT

In this experiment, I used an onion cell and observed that under the microscope. It was pretty cool because what you could see when it was under the microscope was amazing. You can't really describe how it looked like, you'd have to do it for yourself to find out!
THE EXPERIMENT:
Just like any other experiment, you had to get everything ready. To do that, my group and I first prepared the slide. From ms. Pro, we got a single onion cell. We super carefully put it in the middle of the slide and added one drop of iodine to it. The we put on the other slide right on top of it, and then put it under the microscope. By adjusting the stage, the different zooms and the focus, we observed the cells, the chloroplasts and the nucleus. We drew out all our different findings, and labeled the different parts.

This experiment was fun because I got to see and observe something I would never see in my daily life. Also, I've never before done anything we cells, so this was a cool way for me to find out how these microscopic things work.
The frustrating part was when we had to label the different parts because I didn't always know what everything was, and I found it a little hard to find the nucleus because I couldn't see it, and I didn't know how it looked like until ms. Pro had showed me the nucleus through the microscope!

This experiment was awesome! I'd recommend it to anybody to do!

CHEEK CELLS EXPERIMENT

I have to say this was the scariest experiment of all. When ms. Pro had told us you had to take out part of your cheek, the class kind of freaked out. Though when she showed us how to take out your cells, we all calmed down, because it was a lot less scary than we had thought. 

THE EXPERIMENT:
First thing you had to do, was take out your slide, and put a drop of iodine in the center. Then you had to grab a toothpick, and very carefully you had to pick a spot somewhere near to the front (for us, ms. Pro had showed us where to start and she showed us how to "take out" the cells. You had to draw circles, sort of. Ms. Pro called it 'stirring', because you are kind out stirring. You had to stir for a short 5 minutes, till you felt that you had enough cells on your toothpick. When you stir in your mouth, you are breaking up the cells that are layered in your mouth. Since you are stirring the whole time, the cells come on to your toothpick. Once they were on your toothpick you had to stir them onto your slide into the drop of iodine. Then you would place the slide on the stage and adjust it till you could see the cells.

This experiment was fun because I got to see my own cells! Though since the image wasn't as clear through the microscope, I drew the images that were projected on the big screen. Those cells were ms. Pros.
The frustrating part was when we had to take out the cells. Once you stopped stirring in your mouth, there was a tingling feeling that stayed for a little while! I'm very ticklish, so it was kind of annoying, but fun at the same time! Also when you were trying to break the cells in your mouth, because you always moved the toothpick just a little bit and it was hard (for me) to pick up the cells with the toothpick.

Questions!

Here are some questions that I answered after the experiment. Before I did the experiment, I couldn't at all answer these questions. :

1. What are some similarities between the three cell types (Elodea leaf, Onion, and Cheek cells)?
All three types of cells had a nucleus. They became more visible with iodine. They all have cell membrane. 

2. What are the specific jobs of the cell parts found in the three cell types (remember to name the cell parts)?
The cell membrane/cell wall protects the cells. The nucleus wall protects the nucleus. 

3. Name some cell parts that are unique to any of the three cell samples and their possible job.
The chloroplast is found in the Elodea leaf. They make the plants green and they store food. 

4. How can we tell whether the cell can perform photosynthesis or not?
We can tell if a plant or cell can perform photosynthesis by looking and seeing if the cell has chloroplasts. 

5. Which of the three cell types perform photosynthesis? Justify your answer.
The Elodea leaf can perform photosynthesis because we found chloroplasts in the cells. 

6. What is the cell part that is most conspicuous (=easy to see) in the onion cells and cheek cells? What is its function in the cell?
The most conspicuous part to see from the onion and cheek cells was the nucleus. The nucleus is the "brain of the cell." It controls all the different parts. 

7. What cell part is the most conspicuous (=easy to see) in the Elodea cells? What is its function in the Elodea cell?
The most conspicuous part of the Elodea leaf were the chloroplasts. The chloroplasts store food and they make the plast green. If a plant has chloroplasts, then the plant can perform photosynthesis. Without the chloroplasts it wouldn't be able to perform photosynthesis. 


Questions I still Have!

• What happens when an Elodea cell goes to an Onion cell? Is it bad or does it not matter?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Rosanne, your photos are not visible. Can you upload them again, please? The chloroplasts, those small, numerous green spheres are the site of photosynthesis, and the "storage" places where plants keep the surplus of food they made is elsewhere!
    Question about your question: How would an Elodea cell get to an onion cell?
    A new question for you to think about: Do all cell types have a nuclear membrane wrapping and separating the contents of the nucleus from the rest of the cell? You will find out this week!
    It was indeed quite ticklish to scrape the internal lining of our cheek, but it was worth the tickles and tingling, right?

    ReplyDelete