Sunday, May 04, 2014

Lab 9 - Findings

Here is an image of my Lab 9 paper. I wasn't able to draw everything
I saw but I was able to draw most things. This is the water from the
Reservoir Represa Guarapiranga. 

For the Lab 9 experiment, I looked at water from the reservoir Represa Guarapiranga in São Paulo, Brazil. I saw a lot of different things in a plethora of shapes and sizes. A lot of the microorganisms were either floating around in the water trying to eat the other microorganisms or bacteria, or they were not moving. During one part of the experiment, my group and I were looking at the screen that projected what we saw under the microscope, and saw and tadpole-like shape swimming around in the water and it ate some bacteria and some microorganisms, and then swam away! We looked around under the microscope but we couldn't find it anymore...

It was interesting though to see how it had gobbled up the microorganisms and the bacteria. It had a strange whole shape in the front of it's body, where it sucked in all it's food. We also saw some other microorganisms that 'flew' around in the water. They were really fast microorganisms and it looked like they were playing tag or something because they were speeding around and moving towards and away from each other. The tadpole-like shape swam around in a medium speed eating a variety of things, while other microorganisms were zooming about.

During the experiment, we had to try to find different microorganisms and find them on the field guide. My group and I tried to make out some shapes though it was hard to clearly see which microorganism was what. We saw a lot of Arcella's, some Blue-Green Alga, and a lot of bacteria. There might have been more but I'm not exactly sure, since the some of the shapes look very similar or the microscope was too zoomed out for me to make out what the microorganism was.
This is an arcella. ©LINK

Comparing the microorganisms from water to the microorganisms in plant and/or animal cells, is kind of tricky. I'd say that the chloroplasts in a cell move about quickly just like the microorganisms my group and I saw under the microscope.

I think that all the microorganisms are connected by the food chain. For example, when the tadpole-like shape swam in, it ate the smaller microorganisms and bacteria. I predict that the larger organisms eat the smaller microorganisms because they are more vulnerable. I'm still wondering though, what would the smallest microorganisms eat? If there is nothing 'below' them?


Different types of Microorganisms :
Here are some microorganisms, that we, as a class, talked about.






Wanderings:
What are the different names of the organisms?
What are the most important microorganisms in water?
How do all the organisms work?
How are they independent?
How are the dependant on each other?
If the larger microorganisms eat the smaller microorganisms, what would the smallest microorganisms eat?

No comments:

Post a Comment