Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Can You Resist The Urge?

Article 2.
'Reclaiming our (Real) Lives From Social Media'
Link to article.
Social Media
  

What is this article about?
This article explains the balance that is necessary between life and social media.

What is the main idea of the article?
We need to 'reclaim our (real) lives from social media.'

Why was this article interesting?
I find this article interesting because it explains that we need to balance out more. I learned so many new facts about social media and how it effecting our lives –positively and negatively. This article spoke to me, as if saying: "WAKE UP!" After reading this article, I reflected upon how many times I turned on my iPhone to check what's new. A LOT of times. Once on the device, it's hard to get off. There are notification settings. For a 7-day trial, I turned off all of my notifications and it turned out that I stayed off it so much more than I usually do. After that experiment, I turned back my notifications on and I spent so much more time on social media than necessary.

I couldn't believe it when I read that "18-34 year olds spend an estimated 3.8 hours a day on social media. 35-49 year olds spend around 3 hours a day on social media." With all these new devices coming out day by day, people get carried away and this is is changing, or modernising, our society. It's amazing to see how this civilisation has created these things, but I'm wondering if it's becoming way to much for us humans to handle.
I hope that I can try to resist the urge to click the "on" button, just like Nick Bilton pointed out we need to balance out.

1 comment:

  1. Rosanne!
    I thought your post was really deep and inspiring. I noticed it pop out of your blog because I can relate to the urge of being on my phone and social media all day. I like how you had the thought of how this article was calling you to wake up. I agree with you because it actually reflects what we are doing with our lives and social media. Overall, this was a deep, blog post and I could clearly hear your voice in it. Great job!

    ReplyDelete