Monday, April 06, 2015

Are We Really All Equal?

Source
After some researching, I've gained quite some knowledge on gender inequality. One of the most important questions that I wanted to research for this project, was where it was seen the most. For that, I had to deepen my understanding about the roots of gender inequality and I had to look up specific facts about the form of unfairness that happens the most in the modern world. The answer I got, was that it was seen the most at work; especially when comparing a man's earn to a woman's. According to an article, Females who work in the European Union only earn an average of 16.4% less than what men earn. This number varies per country though; in Poland the gap is only 2%, while in Estonia it is over 27%. (Revolting Europe, page 1) I'm guessing that the difference in percentages is because the development of the country, but that is something I'll need to look into and find facts to prove that claim. Additionally, from what I read, I'm understanding that the roots of gender inequality go way back. An investigator, Kitch, did an inquiry all about it. She found out that having a child was a very important factor that affected a woman's status in a society. “For some reason, societies have decided that there’s something inherently inferior about having a female body and producing offspring,” Kitch informed. Her project was directed at six different American tribes, so I'm wondering now if this was the case for European or Latin American countries as well. I know from a Huffington Post article that gender inequality among the Latinos is improving a lot though, while in North America and Europe, not that much progress has been made.
LINK to my a presentation with all
my sources and information!
I do have a lot more information, and with that more wonderings, so now I know for sure that I should research more. After a bit of thinking, I realized that I should interview my dad, or other people who hire workers, as they could give me an exclusive interview about what their perspectives are and such. Finally, on the google presentation above, I've been recording my information. There are some links to articles from the Economist and the New York times that I'm planning to read for homework and next class.

Here are the questions I prepared for the people I'm going to interview:
  1. What do you know about gender inequality?
    1. How do you think someone’s knowledge on this affects their views?
  2. What have you seen from it at work?
  3. What do you think on a woman's potential at work compared to men’s potential?
  4. How do you hire people at work? (Which qualities do you seek?)
  5. Have people influenced you to favour one gender over the other before?
    1. If so, how?

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Rosanne! Your post sounds very professional and I can tell that you did lots of research about gender inequality. I think it would be really cool to see how someone would respond to your questions and I feel like it would really deepen your understanding to know what somebody thinks. I knew this was a problem in the world but I had no idea that this was seen most at work and I learned many things from your post. However I have a few questions; Why has this problem improved in latin countries but not Europe or North America? Is there a particular reason why? Overall, I think you did an amazing job on your post and I love your interview idea.

    ReplyDelete