Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Patching With Plastic

Here is a sneak peak to the graphic novel I wrote and designed with Talia de Beer, my classmate:

The LINK to the full story...

Our story was about a couple who were environmentalists, going on a cruise for their first anniversary. When they are sailing, they encounter a lot of plastic in the ocean. One night, the boat suddenly stops, and the captain says over a loud speak that a bunch of sharp plastic broke one of the propellers. The two protagonists come up with a plan to go down into the ocean and fix the propeller with the same material, as it is very useful and handy. In the end, the couple fix everything and live happily ever after!

In December of 2014, my class and I were assigned the task of writing a graphic novel. The topic had to be on what we wrote about in our research papers before that, which was about something that impacted the world. We were allowed to pair up, so my friend, Talia de Beer, and I worked together. Since we had to focus on one topic, we picked mine, which was plastic, as it was a lot easier and more effective than hers, which was borders. The first thing we had to do for this assignment, was write a story line. Next, we started designing the comic strip online on a program called Pixton and eventually put it all into a google doc.
When doing this project, I think I demonstrated innovation the most. Firstly, there were guidelines for the story. There had to be a point where the 'something' impacted the story. In our case, the 'something' was plastic, and it broke one of the propellers, although it got fixed with the same material after some thinking. To add on, the story has to be fun for the reader to read as well, meaning that the story in general couldn't be boring. Before Talia and I started working together, we had to brainstorm ideas separately. I'd come up with this idea of re-enacting the Titanic. When Talia and I talked about it, we used that initial idea and tweaked it to fit our likings. That's why we have the happy couple and the part where the boat gets a hole.
The last reason why throughout this project I presented innovation, and this was also a challenge I'd faced throughout this process, was when the program we were using didn't have what I'd want to have used in the scene I was creating. It was a challenge to find alternatives that would fit just as good. For example, when putting the scenes when the protagonists are fixing the propellers together, I couldn't quite get the propeller to like an actually propeller. So I roamed through all the props I could use, and I eventually used a wind cane and some blurring effects.
Finally, the finished comic strip was definitely a success. Together, Talia and I worked a lot on this and we accomplished a lot. The story turned out great and the comics looked fantastic. I wouldn't change anything if I were to do this again.
Finally, by being a life-long learner, the skills I learned when doing this project are skills I can apply in real life. The most important ability I developed when doing this project, is designing something that is interesting to the audience. This is especially good when doing a visual project. If the visual, such as a poster, is attractive, people would like to know more about it. I'm glad I learned this, as in the future I can make sure not to bore people or confuse people with a bad presentation. This shows who I am as a learner, as I am reflective to apply class activities to the outside world.

No comments:

Post a Comment