Wednesday, April 01, 2015

Which Event Impacted the World?

SOURCE
This semester, my second elective was geography. One of the main projects that we did this quarter already, was our current event presentations. This is when a student researches into an event that is very recent, and students get to ask questions. We all had to present two: one formative (the first one) and one summative (the second one).
A core value that I demonstrated throughout these two projects, was critical thinker. To begin with, I showed this when I was picking my event. I had to choose something that impacted the world, and had a base in North or South America. The place was easy, although when finding out how it impacted the world: that was harder. Additionally, since for the summative presentation, four people were going on the same day, I didn't want to choose a topic that was in the centre of attention as I was worried that people would chose the same topic as me. Another time when I demonstrated being a critical thinker, was throughout keeping my understanding of the topic. For my first current event project, I did a simpler topic than my second current event. I'd done it on a man who scaled the Niagara Falls when they were frozen this winter. This was easier because it had a more direct path, and specifics. The summative issue was on the Brazilian protests, and why. This had a lot more depth, as it was all about economics and the variety of views that the citizens had or still wanted to express. For that, I needed to question more, and find answers. Lastly, when answering questions after my presentation, I showed a lot of critical thinking. The questions asked were a lot on what was my view and what was going to happen, a lot of the questions that would start with 'what if'. I had to really think about everything I had learned and try to form the best answer possible. These three examples clearly showed I had presented evidence of critical thinking.
A challenge for this project was finding the right, and most recent topic. I was always searching through BBC, and wondering what other people were going to do, not wanting to repeat anything. Because of that, I started preparing a bit later, hoping that I would have a less likely chance to be presenting about the same issue that other people are doing. For summative project, my current event was scheduled on a Wednesday, and with worry, I only started preparing on a Monday. I did work hard on it though, and I practiced talking about it Monday and Tuesday whenever I had time. Because of that hard work, I did get a good final grade, which I am happy about. In comparison, for the formative presentation, the topic I had chosen wasn't the headline in any big newspaper, because of that I had prepared a bit earlier and was less anxious. A success for the presentations, was the presenting part. Mainly because I don't really mind presenting in public, and it's a fun thing to do for me. As I had said before, I had practiced a lot whenever I could, so I knew what to say when the day came. Since I had done that, that, my 'stage-presence' was good as well as I could make eye-contact and emphasise when necessary in the correct parts. Furthermore, connects to me being a life-long learner, as these presenting skills are perfect for future things such as book presentations, or other projects. Moreover, this could be used in the real world when doing things such as telling colleagues about the company's progress.

No comments:

Post a Comment