Thursday, August 20, 2015

First Speech, First Speaker.

This is my speech. Click on it, and you will be directed to the google document.



       Not too long ago in my Humanities class, all of the students had to present a speech about a decision they've made. My speech was about how I didn't like to break a commitment. The presentation starts with me telling a story about my devotion to choir, and with much difficulty, how I decide to not continue participating in it -- therefore breaking a commitment.
After completing the writing and presenting processes, I've reflected on some aspects. One being how I've realized the importance of this speech to me. At the start of writing this, I just thought this was a Humanities speech and we had to present it, but after finalising and really adding 'myself' into it, I discovered that this meant more to me than I thought. I never really got a chance to think about that choice and it's significance to me. However, through writing about it I could understand what I did, and I could clearly see the strength I had to be able to make that decision to stop. I'm glad I choose this story to tell, because otherwise I would never had been able to learn about this experience.
       Furthermore, a skill we were taught to use during our speeches, was that you had to give your speech like you were telling a story, because essentially we were. We were telling our classmates and our teachers a story about a decision we'd made. Just like when you are giving an oral book report, your telling your class about your experience when reading the book and any questions related to it. This skill of storytelling that I'd learned through Matthew Dicks and my Humanities teacher, is very useful in two ways. Firstly, it releases pressure from public speaking. Even though I do like speaking in front of an audience, it is still and challenging and a nerve-wracking thing to do. Thinking of the presentation like you were telling a story to your friends and teacher, decreases the amount of nervousness and stress when presenting. Secondly, the writing process becomes easier. Thinking of which special and intelligent-sounding words to include when speaking takes a lot more time than when you're simply writing about something that you thought about or that you experienced. As a result of this speech and the process that went with it, I will be using the story-telling speech skill for any future public speaking project.
       To finalise my reflection, I'm going to explain my next steps. They're simply to continue life as if it was my personal novel to write. I'm going to aim to look at life like each detail and each event has a story attached to it that could be interesting to listen to and to read. Recently, a famous story teller and author told me personally that life is more fun when you are able to pick out the little things that make up the day. Instead of thinking: "I had four classes today, then I went home and did my homework. My day was just same-old, same-old," you could be thinking "I had four classes today and my friend made this funny joke that made me giggle and I think that that was a bright moment in my day." This way, your days will never be dull they'll never pass by unnoticed.
       I'm glad that I did everything the way I did them. I've learned a lot not only from myself, but also  from my classmates' stories. Each was different in their own interesting way. This project was also fun to do, and I wouldn't mind doing it again.

"Taxonomy of Reflection" questions used:

  1. Understanding: What was important about it?
  2. Applying: Where could I use this again?
  3. Creating: What should I do next?

No comments:

Post a Comment